This morning, I woke up to a pleasant surprise in my blog notifications. Jess from Bold Beauty Bytes nominated me for the Creative Blogger Award and I feel so grateful! Jess writes about her travels and all things beauty. I especially like this post about Nigerian music and this one about her skin care routine. Pre-soaking cotton pads in toner and storing in a glass container? Brilliant!
So, let’s get this show on the road…
Here are the rules:
- Thank and post link to the blog that nominated you.
- Share 5 facts about yourself to the readers.
- Nominate 10 blogs and link to them in this post.
- Notify all nominees via their social media/blogs.
- Pass these rules along.
So, here are my 5 facts:
1. I draw pictures of mer-creatures. I know this is so weird. One day, I just thought it would be hilarious if there was a merduck that felt really sexy about being a merduck. I laughed about it then and I’m still laughing about it now, because occasionally I’ll see something like a camel and think, “Omg, what if it was a mercamel…”
I even put some of my drawings up on my Society6 profile (but I don’t think anyone but me and my family have bought them).
2. I do tarot card readings for myself. I originally started learning tarot cards and different spreads because I thought it would be a fun party trick. After a while I realized how doing a reading could be kind of like doing a guided meditation. It also helps me confront difficult situations and think about problems in a different light. I’m not much of a mystic and I don’t put much stock in the fortune telling aspect of it, but I feel like I get some peace and insight out of the ritual.
3. My boyfriend is 7 1/2 years younger than me. Before Dalton, I dated guys who were weeks younger than me and there was always a maturity issue. Dalton is different. He’s supportive of what I have going on, but he’s got his own life. He doesn’t try to manipulate or belittle me. He gets me out of my comfort zone when he shares the things he loves with me and lets me do the same. Sometimes the age thing comes up, but usually we don’t even notice.
I feel a little weird about turning 30 in December while he’s still going to be 23 though….we’ll see how it all shakes out I guess!
4. I’m a terrible photographer. The photos on the blog are usually one of the 80 that I took to get a shot that isn’t framed oddly and lit like a low-brow bordello. I also usually have to adjust the levels before I can slap them on here. It’s so much work for me to take a decent picture that sometimes I’ll procrastinate a post for weeks because I don’t even want to think about setting up for a photoshoot.
I will say that doing it so much has been really good for me. I’ve improved a lot and posting more frequently means that I have to make compromises with some of my perfectionist tendencies to get things published.
5. Tex Mex cheese enchiladas are my ultimate comfort food. I was born in San Antonio and lived there until I was 14, so I know a thing or two about good Tex Mex. In almost 8 years of living in Utah, I haven’t found anything close to it in the area (and the local’s opinions of what constitues “good” Mexican food are pretty hit and miss in my opinion). This means, I’ve been working on making the perfect version of my own favorite by tweaking this recipe for a few years now. I’m still not quite there, but I do know this one gets pretty close if you use half the salt, yellow onions and medium cheddar.
Alright, that’s it for me. Now, for my nominations…
- How Do I Grown Up – this blog makes me miss my big sister. She gives amazing, unconventional, unfiltered advice.
- POPmodblog – Is there such a thing as a nail art patronus? Because if so, this girl is it for me. I love everything she does and her polish reviews are amazing.
- Writing Stories Rocks – This guy isn’t in the beauty blog business, but his stories are delightful. Most of them fit in the post title, so he’s worth a follow even if you’re not into short stories.
- Say Hello to Gorgeous – Real girl does real reviews. The perfect mix of practical and pretty.
- Courtenay’s Beauty Box – I don’t know what to say about this blog except that I always feel more well-rounded after reading her posts. There are insightful articles, beauty, music & style. Makeup Monday is always a treat 🙂
- Glimmer of Happiness – Water colors and diy and pretty little inspirations everywhere!
- Auntie Doris – If you’re interested in getting into tarot readings you’ve got to check out this cheeky little treat of a blog. Auntie Doris is an expert in practical mysticism and always gives me a pleasant chuckle.
- KimsTag – A little fashion inspiration for the bustier among us. This fabulous lady pulls off things I never thought I could. I want her whole closet and kickassery!
- Jessie’s Budget Beauty – I have so much respect for resourcefulness and Jessie does quite a lot with a little. I’ve already tried a couple drugstore items she’s mentioned and I loved both of them!
- A Pretty Penny – A lovely blog with style and beauty inspiration everywhere you look.
Well, that’s it for tonight! Thank you so much for reading. I’ll let everyone I nominated know tomorrow, but for now I need to get to sleep so I won’t fall asleep at work tomorrow.